Friday, February 21, 2014

Set a Good Example

Are you guilty of saying any of the following:
  • "I'm tired and I can't do that right now even though I'm supposed to."
  • "XYZ has changed? Well, that won't work now."
  • "You want me to do what?"

I'll be the first to admit that I've said similar things, and I'm sure that most of us can relate to at least one of these statements/questions. It's human nature, I believe, to resist change, especially when it doesn't work with our "plans." But do we set the right example for the kids in our lives when they hear us speak like this?

One lesson I'm trying to teach my kids is that not everything they will encounter in their lives (that they are required to do) will be fun. It certainly wasn't fun finding a final resting place for my father when he passed, but we had to find a burial site. Okay...something not so gruesome and more mundane...it's not fun to scrub the entire kitchen floor on my hands and knees, but it needs to get done and I'm healthy enough to do it on my own (and not hire someone).

We all do things that we don't want to do. Part of raising character-filled kids is that we teach them the value of hard work, being adaptable, and not getting crabby in the process. Helping kids to see the outcome rather than the journey can give them a brighter outlook on the situation and a sense of accomplishment when they are finished.

Although it's no fun being on my hands and knees scrubbing, it's a great upper body workout. When I'm done, I've burned a few calories and have a great looking floor as well.

How do you help the kids in your life adapt to change?

No comments:

Post a Comment