Friday, January 31, 2014

What does the Super Bowl - or ANY Championship game - have to do with confidence?

I am not a huge football fan. I'll watch an occasional televised game, and I certainly went to many as a college student, but we're a hockey family..so that's the sport I identify the most with these days. We'll watch the Super Bowl, but mainly for the commercials and that darn "Puppy Bowl" which just gets me oohing and aahhing every time!

But I digress...

I can understand the intensity and expectations of a championship game, like the Super Bowl (or the Stanley Cup Finals) and what it takes to get to play in that type of game. Think about all of those players on the field. What did they do to make it there?

Practice? - Of course, without a doubt.
Passion? -  I would hope those playing have a passion for the sport, or why would they endure the lifestyle (workouts, practices, games, road-trips, time away from family, physical pain/injury, etc.)? I would hope it wasn't just about the money.
Drive? - Sort of the same as passion, but I think drive lasts longer and runs deeper than passion. One may lose their passion for the sport, but their drive keeps them going for whatever reason (maybe money/debt/responsibilities, etc.).
Natural talent? - Possibly, but I think practice is more important than natural talent and reminds me of the quote "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."
Confidence? - Yes, yes, and yes!

Without confidence, either in themselves or from outside sources (coaches, upper management, etc.), those players wouldn't be there. They may be the best of the best (for this season), but they've proven that they can get the job done. They are expected to get the job done. For years, they've been playing this game, gaining more and more confidence. It fills them up and everything in the game comes second nature to them.

But what about when they were first starting out? How did they gain confidence? And how can we, as parents, help our kids be filled with confidence when they go out on the field, on the ice, or at a new tryout or new activity?

I submit it's through our words and actions.

I support my boys with positive feedback, positive words, and by teaching them positive self-talk. There's no "I can't" in our house. When they say that, my response is, "Why not? Yes, you can." If they come back with, "I don't know" or some sort of version of that response, I say, "Then let's figure it out."

Be a confidence-builder, not a confidence-breaker.

What do you do to instill confidence in your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment